Coating for certain objects on prints
How do I ensure that only certain objects in my file get a glossy coating layer while printing? Read all about in on this page!
How do only certain objects in my prints get a coating layer?
Note: The order option for coating specific objects is not available by default, so make sure to add a comment with your order that you have submitted a file with coating layer for specific objects. The submitting of the files requires some knowledge of Adobe.
Below you will find a brief step-by-step plan on how to create a special layer in Adobe Illustrator or InDesign, so that only certain objects in your file get a glossy coating layer:
1. Select New Swatch.
2. At Swatch name, enter ‘Clear’ (note that the first letter is capitalized!).
3. At Color Type you choose Spot Color.
4. Choose a striking color, such as Cyan, and move it fully to the right (100%).
5. Mask the objects or areas (for example with the Pen or Curvature tool) that you want to give a glossy coating. Do this with the Clear color you just created. Make sure Overprint fill is checked at Attributes if you have selected the mask!
6. Save your file as PDF/X-4.